Wed, 30 Mar|
Talking Case Study Event - Getting into Proofreading & Editing
Join Jessica Brown, RAF veteran and now owner of a successful freelance editorial business, and discover how she went from combat boots to proofreading!
Time & Location
30 Mar 2022, 12:00 – 12:45 BST
About the Event
After serving for over 13 years in the Royal Air Force, deploying on operations both overseas and on home soil, Jessica found that her transient lifestyle wasn’t compatible with young family life. She realised that to give her children stability and herself the freedom she needed, it was time to take her career in a different direction. So, she swapped her combat boots for copyediting, and her freelance editorial business was born.
Specialising in editing for self-publishing authors of personal development, wellbeing and spirituality books, Jessica has worked on over fifty publications for publishing houses and independent writers, including her biggest claim to fame: proofreading texts by Cressida Cowell and Quentin Blake.
Jessica understands the challenges that come with starting a new business in the editing industry, which is why she has also set up an online community, Editpreneurs, to connect, inspire and support fledgling editors and proofreaders to build thriving businesses that fit around their busy lives.
Besides her Oxford Manual of Style and an extensive stationery stash (Who doesn’t love a pastel highlighter?), Jessica’s daily weapons of choice are liquid eyeliner, yoga and really good coffee.
- About me, my journey, and how I came to be a freelance editor
- Why freelance proofreading and editing is a great career choice for military spouses
- Could you be a proofreader? Let’s take a look at the skills you need
Routes into proofreading
- The types of proofreading you could do
- The professional training options available
How to get started
- Different types of clients you could work with and where to find them.
- What to charge
- What else you need to consider in order to set up a proofreading & editing business.
- Recommended Resources